Connecting Kids to Wildlife by Touching & Learning
Here it is March and Max has begun the shedding of his luscious 4 inch+ winter fur. We have snow on the ground and the temps are lower than normal but at least the sun was shining today. Max rolled in the snow, rubbed his face over my boots and enjoyed some scratching. I noticed tracks coming and going from his enclosure. One set looked like a cat and they just disappeared behind the garage next to his cage. Wow!
We got about 5 inches of heavy snow on March 2 which damaged Max’s new run’s roofing. Mind you I knew there was a possibility that snow might not fall through the chicken wire but the welded wire was too heavy to install completely over the top. I had to go inside & brush broom the weight off the wire. I ended up with tons of snow on me. Subsequently, the snow damaged six of the connectors which will need to be replaced this summer. I’m contemplating a different set up but have already spent more money than I initially intended with this project. Last year we didn’t get the heavy snow, so no issues.
Today I was investigating the structure of his caging when he got in my face. Love this photo of him.
November 13 I placed a foam garage mat in Max’s indoor cage to lift his housing off the cold concrete until I could purchase a bale of straw. Well, guess he was bored and/or didn’t want it in his cage because when I came home from work on the 14th, he had chewed it up. I didn’t know at the time that he had eaten quite a bit of it. His appetite was much of nothing but he was still alert and active. I wasn’t able to check his stools until Saturday afternoon and I found foam mat pieces in it. Ugh! I also found a stash of foam in his house. Double-ugh! I started giving him a laxative along with warm canned cat food. He did eat that. I avoided giving any chicken legs because of the bones which I didn’t want an obstruction in his bowels. So, daily I would knife through his stools counting and measuring the foam pieces. About six days after the incident, his appetite increased and the foam mat pieces continued to come out. It took 16 days for all the foam to exit his system.
On Nov 25, Max had a vet visit for blood tests and shots. We have to sedate the little bugger because he is a handful. A squeeze cage was purchased back in June for him and it worked great. We got the shot in him and he was out like a light. The only problem was that it took 8 hours for him to shake off the meds 90%. We’ll reduce the dosage next year. His values are low in several areas but the vet wasn’t too concerned because Max was at 38 pounds 14 ounces, his fur is lush and his body felt good. So a great visit but Max will continue on the enzymes for his pancreas. I did post a video on Youtube at https://youtu.be/jyUVm6cOQRU. I sat with Max for quite awhile to help him work off the drugs and give him comfort.
Here are some recent photos of the boy Max.
Was out in Max’s enclosure this past weekend doing cleaning and repairs. Yep, new galvanized panels are rusted because he marks his territory. I had to sand, prime and paint. Then in some spots I put up painted wood and others plexi-glass but plexi is expensive. Anyways, I’m thankful I can do this, he just now marks the wood or plexi and the panels are safe.
Found some Bird’s Nest Fungi in his cage, too. I’ve never seen this before. So, I dug them up and will treat the soil with a dish liquid mixture this coming weekend.